<a href="http://beyondbridges.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/plugitin.jpeg"><img class="alignleft size-thumbnail wp-image-2183" alt="plugitin" src="http://beyondbridges.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/plugitin-150x150.jpeg" width="150" height="150" /></a>
As I am accelerating the content of my blog, in an attempt to keep up the pace of at least a post per day, I am also reorganizing my site and deciding what I really need. About two weeks ago I made my home page a single column, blog post summary and every other page I stuck under the title ‘Stuff’ while I thought about it.
Now – bit by bit I have moved some of the ‘stuff’ back out to the top level, but the vast majority of the site remains – and will remain – under a new heading called ‘The Ps’. I will get to that one day – but for now when you hit the home page for my blog, you see the blog, a ‘Contact Us’ page, sitting side by side with ‘Socially Yours’ – which is where – for now – I am parking all those handy dandy widgets that social sites have – that two months ago were streaming down the right hand side of my home page – and in all honesty slowing everything down.
Then of course a new Sponsor page, to be clear as to who keeps this site going and then all the rest – ‘The Ps’
….. and then there are the plugins. Again – I read somewhere that even if a plugin is not active – it can still drain resources – so – deleted – if I am not using a plug in – it gets deleted – period. None of that inactive stuff. So I am essentially running the site with 6 additonal WordPress plugins – here they are:
- nRelate – who were recently acquired by Ask / IAC – I used to use LinkWithin – now I don’t, and am moving all my sites to nRelate
- Social Author Bio – there are a pack of these kinds of plugins – but this one works, is flexible and looks the best IMHO
- Hupso – again – lots of choices in this world – and used a few of them – but this strikes me as the clearest for someone visiting a site and knowing what to do
- Triberr – this one will get it’s onw post in the future – since I do like it – has its challenges without a doubt – but the idea of publishing to your blog and then the triberr plugin auto syndicating for you – well I like that very much
- Disqus – get rid of that commenting system that comes with WordPress – now – and replace with it a social commenting system – absolutely LOVE Disqus.
- TablePress – tables done easily – not for everyone – but reduces the coding knowledge and though the styling is controlled through CSS – the out of the box look works – and if you are using the same table over and over – wow !
… and then of course – I use Graphene as my skin – actually – I use it on all my blogs as a default – very comprehensive, enormous flexibility – not found a reason to move off it yet – which has happenned with the previous skins I have used – there always seems to be a limit somewhere – not hit that yet with Graphene.
And finally – Sprout Social.
This one (Sprout Social) gets its own post tomorrow – and a few more besides. At the end of the day the social stuff is the future – but if your aren’t managing, controlling it, measuring it – then in all honesty – why bother. That’s where Sprout comes in …. and it comes in, in such a big way that … well one post isn’t going to be enough ….. let’s see who that all plays out – hang onto your hats.
UPDATED to include more links and TablePress on February 22nd.